Today I’m off to BBC Radio Solent to have a chat about the Great British Bake Off. We’ll be talking all things batter and I’m taking along some Churros with Montezuma’s chocolate dip. I can’t wait to hear what they think of them!
Here’s the recipe if you fancy making your own batch this weekend –
Ingredients, for the batter
250g 00 flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch sea salt
350ml boiling water
50g unsalted butter
Ingredients, for the chocolate sauce
100ml double cream
50g dark chocolate (I used Montezuma’s yummy Dark Chocolate with Geranium – amazing!)
Plus sugar to dust the churros
- Weigh out the flour in a large bowl. Add the baking powder and salt, stir through.
- Pour the boiling water into a measuring jug and add the butter. Stir to melt the butter.
- Pour the liquid into the flour mixture and stir to create a thick batter. Leave to rest while you make the chocolate sauce.
- In a small saucepan, heat the double cream. Remove from the heat and break the chocolate into the hot cream. Stir to create a think sauce.
- Heat a deep-fat fryer to 180C. Fit a star nozzle into a piping bag. Fill with about half of the batter (don’t over load, as the bag will explode!).
- Hold the bag over the fryer and squeeze a length of batter out, allow to drop into the fat (or cut with scissors if it does not break off). Cook for about 3 minutes or until golden.
- Transfer to a bowl lined with paper towel to drain off the oil and then transfer to a second bowl, sprinkle over sugar.
- Repeat with the remaining batter and serve as soon as possible.