Food often brings back memories, and for me, lemon curd reminds me of the pot my Mum bought back from Harrods. It was a real treat and I remember it to this day! These cupcakes use that favourite flavour of mine to create a beautiful sweet treat, I hope you enjoy them.
for the cakes-
|see below||caster sugar|
|see below||self raising flour|
|see below||unsalted butter|
|about 3 tbsp||lemon curd|
|half||lemon, zest only|
for the icing
|2 tbsp||lemon curd|
1. Firstly weigh your eggs (in the shells), make a note of this weight and put the eggs to one side.
2. Whatever the weight was, weigh out the same amount of unsalted butter and caster sugar. Beat these together.
3. In a separate bowl, weigh out the self-raising flour. Crack the first of your eggs into the butter and sugar mix, along with a spoonful of the flour. Stir in and then repeat with the second egg.
4. Once both eggs are in, add the remaining flour. Then add a splash of milk to loosen the mixture (the amount you need depends on how thick your mixture is, you are looking for it to be ‘dropping’ consistency).
5. Add the lemon zest and stir well.
6. Transfer into 12 cupcake size cake cases. Add a small amount of lemon curd to the top of each cake.
7. Cook for about 15-20 minutes or until golden at 180C/ fan 160C.
8. For the icing, beat together the butter and icing sugar. Add the lemon curd and stir well.
9. Once the cakes are cooked and cooled, cover with icing.
Makes 1 dozen cupcakes